Over the years, I’ve photographed many of the drilling rigs working in southeast Saskatchewan. It’s time to renew the 12 Rigs of Christmas! Over the next 12 days, you’ll see rigs of companies still here, and others that have come and gone. Some have changed names and colours. People have come and gone. But you know what? Our industry is still keeping our trucks fueled and our people warm. Please share these posts – you might be in them, or recognize others who are.
This is Horizon Drilling Rig 34, drilling Deep Earth Energy Production’s first geothermal exploratory well south of Torquay in November, 2018. It’s not often you see coring taking place, and this was the second time I got to see it up close. This was also my first time on a Horizon Drilling rig.
This well is significant, as it marks the start of geothermal energy exploration and production in Saskatchewan. When drilled, it was the deepest well in Saskatchewan. The core you see was, at the time, the deepest core ever taken in this province, only to be surpassed by neighbouring wells on the same site. They cored right into the PreCambrian basement, although I think the portion you see is likely the Deadwood, above it. It was a honour to be there, present and documenting what will hopefully become historic developments.
The 12 rigs of Christmas:
- 0023 LC Trucking tractor picker hiring mix
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0020 Sk Oil Show PO Ad 02 speakers with voiceover
- 0019 Jerry Mainil Ltd hiring dugout
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0017 eventworx
- 0016 Estevan Meter Services
- 0014 Buffalo Potash What if PO
- 0015 Latus Viro PO Ad 01
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior
- 0004 Royal Helium PO Ad 02