Brian Zinchuk is editor and owner of Pipeline Online
For outstanding contributions to the petroleum industry in Saskatchewan and Canada, Derrick Big Eagle is this year’s Southeast Saskatchewan Oilman of the Year. You can attend the awards ceremony on June 1 at the Saskatchewan Oil and Gas Show. Tickets are available at oilshow.ca.
Derrick Big Eagle was born in Manor, Saskatchewan.
He went into the drilling industry at a young age, and worked his way up to co-founding and co-owning his own drilling company, Eagle Drilling Services Ltd.
That company sold in 2011 to CanElson Drilling. That year Derrick co-founded Element Technical Services in Carlyle Element is a high-level fracking company.
Then in 2012, Derrick co-founded Cheveyo Energy Inc., an oil and gas exploration and production company focused in southeast Saskatchewan. It sold in 2014, just before the oil crash.
Derrick also launched Eagle Motorsports, which is Canada’s first dirt modified race car fabrication, car sales and parts distributor.
In 2013, Derrick was awarded Saskatchewan Oilman of the Year. But he wasn’t finished yet.
In 2015 he founded Tomahawk Energy Services, which started out as a dirt moving and construction company, but has since evolved into the parent for several other ventures.
Tomahawk bought EnMapp Pipeline Data, a digitized mapping service, in 2020.
Tomahawk Global Raymac works in surveying, GIS and laser scanning. It’s an outgrowth of Enmapp, which does 3D scans of pipelines in the ditch.
Tomahawk League is a joint venture with League Projects, focused on pipeline integrity digs and maintenance.
Sioux Technical Construction Management provides inspection and supervision for major construction projects.
Eagle Sky Ventures is a new service rig outfit formed in 2020 in partnership with the Day Group of Companies. It’s already running six rigs.
Evolution Growers is a new indoor agriculture venture planned for Estevan. It is meant to take advantage of geothermal heat.
And he’s always got more projects on the go.
Derrick has become the definition of a serial entrepreneur – always launching and growing new businesses. Most of them have been in the oilpatch. Derrick credits his strong sense of family as being a motivator to build family orientated companies. Happily married, he and his wife Shelley, have two grown sons, Masen and Jett.
Derrick Big Eagle is this year’s Southeast Saskatchewan Oilman of the Year.
- 0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly
- 0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar
- 0050 Pride Upkeep lawn0050 Pride Upkeep lawn
- 0048 Hutts Trucking Safety0048 Hutts Trucking Safety
- 0047 Estevan Oilfield Technical Society 20230047 Estevan Oilfield Technical Society 2023
- 0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan
- 0044 PTRC CCUS Aquistore0044 PTRC CCUS Aquistore
- 0043 ALX ten sizes0043 ALX ten sizes
- 0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third
- 0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build
- 0040 Southeast College safety tickets0040 Southeast College safety tickets
- 0032 IWS Summer hiring rock trailer music
- 0029 Latus Viro updated Latus phone
- 0025 Kendalls
- 0023 LC Trucking tractor picker hiring mix
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0019 Jerry Mainil Ltd hiring dugout
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior
- 0004 Royal Helium PO Ad 02