Letters to the Editor can be sent to email@example.com
I believe your readers will want to be aware that wind power and battery storage power was essentially NON EXISTENT in Alberta during the very cold weather on Tuesday and Wednesday last week.
The attached review from a neighbor in Saskatchewan further examines the recent cold weather and low wind power in Alberta.
Periods of very low or no wind power are not unusual in Alberta and repeat every year. The situation was first documented in 2013 in a report entitled “Alberta – A Case Study in Wind Energy Management” The author noted:
“For 7 per cent of the time there was essentially no wind generation at all (less than 1% of nameplate capacity). That implies that for more than an hour a day, happening at some random time, there will be no wind available which means that another reliable source will have to be on standby.”
A review of publicly available data from the Alberta Electric System Operator for 2017 shows 237 hrs of zero wind power and 1220 hours when wind generation was between 0 to 100 MW (about 1 per cent of Alberta demand)
During the recent very cold weather, Alberta pool power price spiked as natural gas-powered stations were the “only game in town”. That cost Albertans in excess of $5 million incremental. Shame on such poor planning.
All Albertans need to be aware that NO reliable dispatchable power plants have been built in Alberta for the last 5+ years. But then why would private money be invested in facilities that will be stranded by 2035 caused by federal government plans, with no complaint by the provincial government of Alberta?
Sent with great concern by
Ivan Purdy, P. Eng (retired)
Resident of Red Deer
- 0037 TED_DEEP_30_
- 0036 Prairie Lithium - Chad Glemser 30 Sec
- 0035 TED - Whitecap
- 0034 TED_NA Helium 2021
- 0033 Buffalo Potash Jared Small Footprint
- 0032 IWS Summer hiring rock trailer music
- 0029 Latus Viro updated Latus phone
- 0027 TED_NA Helium 2021_30
- 0025 Kendalls
- 0026 Buffalo Potash Quinton Salt
- 0023 LC Trucking tractor picker hiring mix
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0019 Jerry Mainil Ltd hiring dugout
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0014 Buffalo Potash What if PO
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior
- 0004 Royal Helium PO Ad 02