Letters to the Editor can be sent to email@example.com
I believe your readers will want to be aware that wind power and battery storage power was essentially NON EXISTENT in Alberta during the very cold weather on Tuesday and Wednesday last week.
The attached review from a neighbor in Saskatchewan further examines the recent cold weather and low wind power in Alberta.
Periods of very low or no wind power are not unusual in Alberta and repeat every year. The situation was first documented in 2013 in a report entitled “Alberta – A Case Study in Wind Energy Management” The author noted:
“For 7 per cent of the time there was essentially no wind generation at all (less than 1% of nameplate capacity). That implies that for more than an hour a day, happening at some random time, there will be no wind available which means that another reliable source will have to be on standby.”
A review of publicly available data from the Alberta Electric System Operator for 2017 shows 237 hrs of zero wind power and 1220 hours when wind generation was between 0 to 100 MW (about 1 per cent of Alberta demand)
During the recent very cold weather, Alberta pool power price spiked as natural gas-powered stations were the “only game in town”. That cost Albertans in excess of $5 million incremental. Shame on such poor planning.
All Albertans need to be aware that NO reliable dispatchable power plants have been built in Alberta for the last 5+ years. But then why would private money be invested in facilities that will be stranded by 2035 caused by federal government plans, with no complaint by the provincial government of Alberta?
Sent with great concern by
Ivan Purdy, P. Eng (retired)
Resident of Red Deer
- 0062 TED_EPAC_Technology_300062 TED_EPAC_Technology_30
- 0061 SIMSA 2024 For Sask Buy Sask0061 SIMSA 2024 For Sask Buy Sask
- 0060 Arizona Lithium Lease building0060 Arizona Lithium Lease building
- 0059 Southeast College Heavy Equipment Operator0059 Southeast College Heavy Equipment Operator
- 0058 Royal Helium Steveville opens anonymous rocket0058 Royal Helium Steveville opens anonymous rocket
- 9002 Pipeline Online 30 sec EBEX9002 Pipeline Online 30 sec EBEX
- 0055 Smart Power Be Smart with your Power office0055 Smart Power Be Smart with your Power office
- 0015 Latus Viro0015 Latus Viro
- 0052 Predator Inspections0052 Predator Inspections
- 0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly
- 0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar
- 0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan
- 0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build
- 0032 IWS Summer hiring rock trailer music
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior