Flooding shuts down major coal power station, leaving SaskPower scrambling to backfill its output and shed load internally
Heavy rains in the Coronach area Friday night have resulted in the shutdown of the coal-fired Poplar River Power Station, just when high temperatures are putting pressure on SaskPower’s grid to keep everyone’s air conditioning running. The result is a 582 megawatt coal-fired power station went offline, and SaskPower is scrambling to meet demand. One of the things it is doing is internal “load shedding,” reducing power consumption where it can, so that other customers have the power they need.
Cenovus CEO: Without cheap, abundant, affordable energy, life is brutal. Life is short
“I’m really optimistic about this is oil and gas industry really, for two reasons. One is, I think Premier Moe mentioned this, is that without cheap, abundant, affordable energy, life is brutal. Life is short. You know, there’s one thing that First World nations all have in common: they have cheap, reliable, abundant energy. And today, hydrocarbons make up just over 80 per cent of that energy mix.” – Cenovus’s new CEO Jon McKenzie.
Saskatchewan will not meet Net Zero by 2035, but will aim for 2050
Here’s a lot more depth on what was said during Tuesday’s press conference about SaskPower and Saskatchewan’s electrical generating future, and there are additional stories to come as well.
Saskatchewan can’t meet Net Zero by 2035, so we won’t: full press conference video
There’s a lot to unpack here, from plans to continue coal use until 2044, to substantial adoption of nuclear power in the future. We’re still going to build wind and solar, but there’s acknowledgement they can be totally unreliable, and natural gas backup for them is needed.
Nine years after SaskPower pioneered carbon capture on coal, the US intends on adopting it wholesale
REGINA, WASHINGTON – In 2011, the Government of Saskatchewan and SaskPower made the decision to go ahead with post-combustion carbon capture on Boundary Dam Unit 3. By 2014, a few months delayed and a few hundred million over budget, the $1.6 billion project was...
- 0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly
- 0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar
- 0050 Pride Upkeep lawn0050 Pride Upkeep lawn
- 0048 Hutts Trucking Safety0048 Hutts Trucking Safety
- 0047 Estevan Oilfield Technical Society 20230047 Estevan Oilfield Technical Society 2023
- 0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan
- 0044 PTRC CCUS Aquistore0044 PTRC CCUS Aquistore
- 0043 ALX ten sizes0043 ALX ten sizes
- 0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third
- 0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build
- 0040 Southeast College safety tickets0040 Southeast College safety tickets
- 0032 IWS Summer hiring rock trailer music
- 0029 Latus Viro updated Latus phone
- 0025 Kendalls
- 0023 LC Trucking tractor picker hiring mix
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0019 Jerry Mainil Ltd hiring dugout
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior
- 0004 Royal Helium PO Ad 02