Brian Zinchuk is editor and owner of Pipeline Online
Lloydminster – There’s a lot of talk from the federal Liberal government about “ending direct fossil fuel subsidies in Canada.”
Conservative Energy Critic Shannon Stubbs, Alberta MP for Lakeland (which includes Lloydminster), took to LinkedIn to respond on July 20. In response to a Canadian Press story of July 14 entitled “Ottawa set t end domestic subsidies for unabated fossil fuel production,” she wrote:
The truth is the former Conservative government ended the vast majority of direct fossil fuel subsidies in Canada. What’s wild is that the government can’t even define “inefficient fossil fuel subsidies.” The natural resources committee did a whole study on this subject, and neither government of Canada officials nor witnesses used a common definition. So, I guess the NDP-Liberals are about to make something up — and then get rid of it.
What exists now is benchmark corporate tax treatment for all businesses – but the Liberals do exclude oil and gas even from some of those. The NDP-Liberals can’t define inefficient fossil fuel subsidies, AND they can’t tell you where all the money for R&D and innovation, or for government programs and services, is going to come from instead.
So, let’s see what the NDP-Liberals invent next!
What’s clear is the Liberals remain hellbent on shutting down Canada’s oil and gas sector, even though it invests more private sector dollars in clean tech than all other sectors – COMBINED, and leads the way in developing alternative energies and the fuels of the future. It also contributes an annual average of $26 billion to governments in taxes and royalties – $48 billion last year alone!
The reality is their reckless anti-energy and anti-private sector policies will kill hundreds of thousands of high-skilled, well-paying jobs, risk billions of dollars in government revenue, and won’t actually do anything for the environment.
Conservatives will make both traditional and new energy options more affordable and accessible by removing gatekeepers, and by bringing costs and red tape down. Conservatives will export Canada’s world-class technology and energy products to help lower emissions globally and reduce dependence on hostile state-run regimes and dictators with much lower environmental standards than Canada’s. Conservatives will put Canadian natural resources first, and bring home resource jobs, businesses, innovation, and powerful paychecks!
- 0015 Latus Viro0015 Latus Viro
- 0054 SIMSA Energy Forum0054 SIMSA Energy Forum
- 0053 Kingston Midstream Westspur Alameda0053 Kingston Midstream Westspur Alameda
- 0052 Predator Inspections0052 Predator Inspections
- 0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly
- 0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar
- 0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan
- 0043 ALX ten sizes0043 ALX ten sizes
- 0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third
- 0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build
- 0032 IWS Summer hiring rock trailer music
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior
- 0004 Royal Helium PO Ad 02