Brian Zinchuk is editor and owner of Pipeline Online
While the Port of Churchill is seen by some as a possible salvation for exports, especially oil, from the otherwise landlocked prairie provinces, at least one prominent politician is saying it’s not going to work,
On a day when the federal and Manitoba governments pledged a further $147 million for improvements to the rail line leading to Churchill, Brian Jean, one of the candidates for leadership of the Alberta United Conservative Party and, with that, the premiership of that province, said its not realistic.
In a post on LinkedIn on Aug. 3, Jean said, “Hudson Bay is just not workable. Too much muskeg to get to it by rail or pipeline. Too much ice or icebergs for most of the year even if you could get to Churchill.
Port Nelson is a pipedream that was given up on over 100 years ago. There are no roads or rail that go there.”
That comes from the MLA for Fort McMurray, which has had a lot of work done in the muskeg.
However, most of the comments on the post begged to differ.
Dan Odenbach, president at Aggressive Oilfield Rentals Ltd., wrote, “Well this meme is dumb. The amount of crap I’ve worked on and still continue to work on in muskeg areas must all just be a big dream in Alberta’s and BC’s oil patch.”
Geotechnical consultant Alistar James, a professional engineer, said, “We build on Muskeg in Alberta. Why would we be unable to do it elsewhere? Finland and Sweden also do this.”
And Charles Proulx with Paradox Access Solutions Inc. said, “There have been numerous projects within Alberta (and Canada) which have been been built on top of Muskeg / Peat type geotechnical conditions.
“Here are a couple of project examples of successful projects built on muskeg or overtop of Permafrost utilizing Tough Cell technology: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_krApoaGRo0, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPhdka1ZMGQ.”
- 0060 Arizona Lithium Lease building0060 Arizona Lithium Lease building
- 0059 Southeast College Heavy Equipment Operator0059 Southeast College Heavy Equipment Operator
- 0058 Royal Helium Steveville opens anonymous rocket0058 Royal Helium Steveville opens anonymous rocket
- 9002 Pipeline Online 30 sec EBEX9002 Pipeline Online 30 sec EBEX
- 0055 Smart Power Be Smart with your Power office0055 Smart Power Be Smart with your Power office
- 0015 Latus Viro0015 Latus Viro
- 0052 Predator Inspections0052 Predator Inspections
- 0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly
- 0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar
- 0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan
- 0043 ALX ten sizes0043 ALX ten sizes
- 0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third
- 0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build
- 0032 IWS Summer hiring rock trailer music
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior