TORONTO — BMO Financial Group says it has struck a deal to buy Radicle Group Inc. for an undisclosed sum as it looks to expand its emission reduction advisory services.
Calgary-based Radicle is a developer of carbon offsets and helps organizations measure and reduce emissions.
BMO Capital Markets chief executive Dan Barclay says in a statement that the acquisition will help the bank be its clients’ lead partner in the transition to a net-zero world.
Canada’s big banks have come under criticism for their funding of the oil and gas industry, but the banks have defended their position in part by saying they plan to work with heavy emitters to reduce emissions.
Carbon offsets have had a mixed history, with many questioning their effectiveness at actually reducing emissions, but Radicle notes the market is growing and continues to play an important part in curbing the effects of climate change.
Radicle has 130 employees and has worked with over 4,000 clients including major oil and gas producers such as Imperial Oil, Meg Energy, TC Energy, Chevron, and ConocoPhillips.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 20, 2022.
Companies in this story: (TSX:BMO)
The Canadian Press
- 0037 TED_DEEP_30_
- 0036 Prairie Lithium - Chad Glemser 30 Sec
- 0035 TED - Whitecap
- 0034 TED_NA Helium 2021
- 0033 Buffalo Potash Jared Small Footprint
- 0032 IWS Summer hiring rock trailer music
- 0029 Latus Viro updated Latus phone
- 0027 TED_NA Helium 2021_30
- 0025 Kendalls
- 0026 Buffalo Potash Quinton Salt
- 0023 LC Trucking tractor picker hiring mix
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0019 Jerry Mainil Ltd hiring dugout
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0014 Buffalo Potash What if PO
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior
- 0004 Royal Helium PO Ad 02