VANCOUVER — The discovery of a woodpecker’s nest has halted construction of the Trans Mountain pipeline along a 400-metre stretch near Chilliwack, B.C.
A statement from Trans Mountain Corp. says buffer zones around trees and vegetation have been marked with rope signs and flagging tape near Bridal Falls where the red-breasted sapsucker has been seen nesting.
The Crown corporation says the area will not be cleared until there’s confirmation from a wildlife resource specialist that no nests are active, which would be the end of nesting season.
Sarah Ross of the Community Nest Finding Network says the group first noticed bird nests in tree cavities in early June and alerted local authorities.
She says while the red-breasted sapsucker nest is easily visible from the ground, the area also has other birds that build homes in trees during this time, with the nesting season lasting until about the end of August.
The pipeline expansion was expected to be completed this year, but that date has now been moved up to the third quarter of 2023 after the pandemic and November’s floods in B.C. forced the delays.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 22, 2022.
The Canadian Press
- 0015 Latus Viro0015 Latus Viro
- 0054 SIMSA Energy Forum0054 SIMSA Energy Forum
- 0053 Kingston Midstream Westspur Alameda0053 Kingston Midstream Westspur Alameda
- 0052 Predator Inspections0052 Predator Inspections
- 0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly
- 0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar
- 0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan
- 0043 ALX ten sizes0043 ALX ten sizes
- 0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third
- 0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build
- 0032 IWS Summer hiring rock trailer music
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior
- 0004 Royal Helium PO Ad 02