A Transportation Safety Board investigation has determined the train was on track that failed because of a repair error nearly two months earlier.
The report says maintenance crews had fixed part of the track after finding a broken joint bar.
But it was replaced with the wrong piece, which resulted in the track becoming misaligned and unstable.
The CN train was travelling east near St-Lazare when an emergency brake was applied and several cars derailed.
There were no injuries, fires or evacuations, but about 815,000 litres of oil was released.
CN says it has since installed continuous welded rail on the corridor of track between east-central Saskatchewan and Winnipeg.
The company also requires suppliers to spray-paint joint bars royal blue, to help differentiate them from similar-looking parts.
Editor’s note: 815,000 litres equals 5,126 barrels of oil. Pipeline Online contractually cannot alter or edit copy provided by The Canadian Press.
- 0062 TED_EPAC_Technology_300062 TED_EPAC_Technology_30
- 0061 SIMSA 2024 For Sask Buy Sask0061 SIMSA 2024 For Sask Buy Sask
- 0060 Arizona Lithium Lease building0060 Arizona Lithium Lease building
- 0059 Southeast College Heavy Equipment Operator0059 Southeast College Heavy Equipment Operator
- 0058 Royal Helium Steveville opens anonymous rocket0058 Royal Helium Steveville opens anonymous rocket
- 9002 Pipeline Online 30 sec EBEX9002 Pipeline Online 30 sec EBEX
- 0055 Smart Power Be Smart with your Power office0055 Smart Power Be Smart with your Power office
- 0015 Latus Viro0015 Latus Viro
- 0052 Predator Inspections0052 Predator Inspections
- 0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly
- 0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar
- 0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan
- 0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build
- 0032 IWS Summer hiring rock trailer music
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior