Brian Zinchuk is editor and owner of Pipeline Online
REGINA – On Sept. 28, the Saskatchewan Industrial and Mining Suppliers Association’s (SIMSA) premier energy event took place, and it was sold out.
Sporting a new name, the event is now the 8th Annual Saskatchewan Suppliers’ Energy Forum. It was formerly known as the Saskatchewan Oil and Gas Supply Chain Forum.
SIMSA executive director Eric Anderson said, “We ended up selling out the event.”
There were 280 people in attendance.
As for the trade show, he said, “It was all sold out well in advance.”
There was a small vendor tradeshow, presentations by energy company procurement persons, networking sessions.
Speakers included presenters already include Cenovus, Crescent Point Energy, Federated Co-operative Ltd., TC Energy and more.
New energy and storage industries were also highlight, with Proton Technologies and Prairie Lithium taking the stage.
Nuclear energy is in the news for Saskatchewan, with SaskPower announcing the week before that it had narrowed its selection for siting possibly two reactors to either the Estevan or Elbow areas. Nuclear power development therefore had a notable presence at the conference, both on stage and as attendees, from the companies and organizations involved.
Saskatchewan is getting serious about nuclear reactor development, as SaskPower announced in June it has chosen General Electric-Hitachi’s BWRX-300 design, a 300 megawatt model which closely corresponds in size with most of SaskPower’s remaining coal-fire units. That will allow for an eventual one-for-one replacement of coal with nuclear.
On stage, the Organization of Canadian Nuclear Industries and General Electric-Hitachi both had presentations. GE-Hitachi was chosen earlier this year as provider of SaskPower’s first four planned reactors, each 300 megawatts in scale. But also present were representatives from X-Energy, which has a 80 megawatt design, and Westinghouse, which has a five megawatt design known as eVinci. It’s reduced size is referred to as a “micro reactor.”
Of those four nuclear companies and organization, SIMSA is working with three of them, and developing a relationship with the fourth, in aligning Saskatchewan suppliers with their needs.
- 0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly
- 0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar
- 0050 Pride Upkeep lawn0050 Pride Upkeep lawn
- 0048 Hutts Trucking Safety0048 Hutts Trucking Safety
- 0047 Estevan Oilfield Technical Society 20230047 Estevan Oilfield Technical Society 2023
- 0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan
- 0044 PTRC CCUS Aquistore0044 PTRC CCUS Aquistore
- 0043 ALX ten sizes0043 ALX ten sizes
- 0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third
- 0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build
- 0040 Southeast College safety tickets0040 Southeast College safety tickets
- 0032 IWS Summer hiring rock trailer music
- 0029 Latus Viro updated Latus phone
- 0025 Kendalls
- 0023 LC Trucking tractor picker hiring mix
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0019 Jerry Mainil Ltd hiring dugout
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior
- 0004 Royal Helium PO Ad 02