Wind turbine at Grenfell. Photo by Brian Zinchuk

 

Once again, as goes Alberta with wind power production, so goes Saskatchewan.

Alberta saw wind power generation flatline on Jan. 11, and it looks like Saskatchewan has seen the same thing occur on Jan. 10.

SaskPower delays releasing its data by two days to protect its marketing position. But the data from Jan. 10 showed that Saskatchewan’s 617 megawatts of installed grid-scale wind power generation averaged just 54 megawatts over the day.

And as an average, that means there were times where it was lower, and higher, during the course of the day.

On that day, SaskPower generated 3,310 megawatts on average, but consumed 3,168 megawatts, exporting 142 megawatts.

SaskPower power generation on Jan. 10, 2023. SaskPower

 

Wind power accounted for two per cent of total power generation for the day, but hydro was up substantially, at 13 per cent, or and average of 432 megawatts.

Solar power production was negligible, averaging just 1 megawatt across the 30 megawatts of grid-scale power facilities.

Natural gas was pumping out 1,461 megawatts, or 44 per cent of total generation. Coal put out 1,258 megawatts, or 38 per cent. Together, fossil fuels accounted for 82 per cent of power generation.

The last three per cent of power came from “other”, which includes small scale solar, heat recovery and biomass. The total was 104 megawatts.

 

  • 0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build
    0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build
  • 0040 Southeast College safety tickets
    0040 Southeast College safety tickets
  • 0036 Prairie Lithium - Chad Glemser 30 Sec
  • 0033 Buffalo Potash Jared Small Footprint
  • 0032 IWS Summer hiring rock trailer music
  • 0029 Latus Viro updated Latus phone
  • 0025 Kendalls
  • 0026 Buffalo Potash Quinton Salt
  • 0023 LC Trucking tractor picker hiring mix
  • 0022 Grimes winter hiring
  • 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
  • 0019 Jerry Mainil Ltd hiring dugout
  • 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
  • 0014 Buffalo Potash What if PO
  • 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
  • 0011
  • 0006 JK Junior
  • 0004 Royal Helium PO Ad 02
  • 9001
  • 0002

 

Wednesday morning, Alberta’s wind and solar power had flatlined to next to zero. Again