Brian Zinchuk is editor and owner of Pipeline Online
REGINA—Following the resignation of Ryan Meili as leader, the Saskatchewan New Democrats set the rules and timing for a leadership contest at Provincial Council this Saturday. The new leader will be elected at a leadership convention in Regina in late June, 2022, according to a press release on Feb. 28.
All Saskatchewan New Democratic Party members in good standing will be eligible to vote online or by mail-in ballot.
The registration process has its own affirmative action angle with regards to gender, specifically limiting how many men can be signatories to the nomination.
Registration to become a leadership candidate will require:
- being a member in good standing of the Saskatchewan New Democratic Party;
- providing the signatures of no fewer than 100 Saskatchewan NDP members, half of whom are women or gender diverse, from at least twenty provincial constituencies;
- providing a non-refundable registration fee of $4,000;
- receiving approval from the Saskatchewan NDP to seek the leadership; and
- limiting campaign expenditures to a maximum of $200,000.
More information will be provided as the contest gets underway and dates are finalized, the party said.
At the same meeting, Saskatchewan New Democrats unanimously approved a solidarity motion with the people of Ukraine, as well as all Saskatchewan people with friends and family in the region. The text of the motion is attached.
Regina Rosemount MLA Trent Wotherspoon, who has previously run for the leadership, posted on Facebook on Feb. 27 he was endorsing Carla Beck, stating, “Carla Beck is the best person to bring people in, build them up, and replace Scott Moe. She is the strong and unifying leader we need to build our party and deliver for people across our province.”
Regina Lakeview MLA Nicole Sarauer has also endorsed Beck.
Saskatoon Centre MLA Betty Nippi-Albright has also bowed out, stating on her Facebook page on Feb. 24, “While I am honoured and humbled to have received encouragement from so many folks across this province and country.
“At this moment in time – I do not believe the political establishment is ready to have a vocal First Nation woman lead and become Premier of Saskatchewan.”
- 0060 Arizona Lithium Lease building0060 Arizona Lithium Lease building
- 0059 Southeast College Heavy Equipment Operator0059 Southeast College Heavy Equipment Operator
- 0058 Royal Helium Steveville opens anonymous rocket0058 Royal Helium Steveville opens anonymous rocket
- 9002 Pipeline Online 30 sec EBEX9002 Pipeline Online 30 sec EBEX
- 0055 Smart Power Be Smart with your Power office0055 Smart Power Be Smart with your Power office
- 0015 Latus Viro0015 Latus Viro
- 0052 Predator Inspections0052 Predator Inspections
- 0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly
- 0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar
- 0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan
- 0043 ALX ten sizes0043 ALX ten sizes
- 0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third
- 0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build
- 0032 IWS Summer hiring rock trailer music
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior