Brian Zinchuk is editor and owner of Pipeline Online
REGINA—Following the resignation of Ryan Meili as leader, the Saskatchewan New Democrats set the rules and timing for a leadership contest at Provincial Council this Saturday. The new leader will be elected at a leadership convention in Regina in late June, 2022, according to a press release on Feb. 28.
All Saskatchewan New Democratic Party members in good standing will be eligible to vote online or by mail-in ballot.
The registration process has its own affirmative action angle with regards to gender, specifically limiting how many men can be signatories to the nomination.
Registration to become a leadership candidate will require:
- being a member in good standing of the Saskatchewan New Democratic Party;
- providing the signatures of no fewer than 100 Saskatchewan NDP members, half of whom are women or gender diverse, from at least twenty provincial constituencies;
- providing a non-refundable registration fee of $4,000;
- receiving approval from the Saskatchewan NDP to seek the leadership; and
- limiting campaign expenditures to a maximum of $200,000.
More information will be provided as the contest gets underway and dates are finalized, the party said.
At the same meeting, Saskatchewan New Democrats unanimously approved a solidarity motion with the people of Ukraine, as well as all Saskatchewan people with friends and family in the region. The text of the motion is attached.
Regina Rosemount MLA Trent Wotherspoon, who has previously run for the leadership, posted on Facebook on Feb. 27 he was endorsing Carla Beck, stating, “Carla Beck is the best person to bring people in, build them up, and replace Scott Moe. She is the strong and unifying leader we need to build our party and deliver for people across our province.”
Regina Lakeview MLA Nicole Sarauer has also endorsed Beck.
Saskatoon Centre MLA Betty Nippi-Albright has also bowed out, stating on her Facebook page on Feb. 24, “While I am honoured and humbled to have received encouragement from so many folks across this province and country.
“At this moment in time – I do not believe the political establishment is ready to have a vocal First Nation woman lead and become Premier of Saskatchewan.”
- 0029 Latus Viro updated Latus phone
- 0031 Lloydminster_Heavy_Oil_Show_20220031 Lloydminster_Heavy_Oil_Show_2022
- 0027 TED_NA Helium 2021_30
- 0028 SIMSA_Energy_Forum_2022
- 0025 Kendalls
- 0026 Buffalo Potash Quinton Salt
- 0023 LC Trucking tractor picker hiring mix
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0019 Jerry Mainil Ltd hiring dugout
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0014 Buffalo Potash What if PO
- 0015 Latus Viro PO Ad 01
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior
- 0004 Royal Helium PO Ad 02