Brian Zinchuk is editor and owner of Pipeline Online
REGINA – On October 11, 2022, the Government of Saskatchewan released a paper titled Drawing the Line: Defending Saskatchewan’s Economic Autonomy during an event at the Battlefords and District Chamber of Commerce.
This document outlines notable costs to Saskatchewan’s economy – $111 billion over 12 years – due to nine federal climate change policies, with direct compliance costs being absorbed by industry and households.
The Saskatchewan Chamber of Commerce issued a respond on Oct. 12.
“Saskatchewan’s role as a global leader in producing sustainable food, fuel, and fertilizer is dependent on the province fully leveraging its rich natural resources, a feat that is challenging within the current policies and regulations,” said Prabha Ramaswamy, CEO of the Saskatchewan Chamber of Commerce (SCC). “Action on climate and environment are critical, although it is imperative to consider the sustainability of Saskatchewan’s economy when making these decisions.”
For Saskatchewan to continue its role as a world leader, an appropriate transition process to achieving net-zero is paramount, the Chamber said.
It added, “The release of this report also signals the importance of ongoing dialogue between the federal and provincial governments. Transparency and collaboration are crucial to minimize consequences that emerge from the differences in the governments’ approaches to environmental stewardship.”
“Our business community strongly believes that the relationship between the provincial and federal government needs to be collaborative. We must consider provincial differences and what drives our local economy,” continued Ramaswamy. “The SCC emphasizes that consultations and transparency through formal mechanisms are pivotal for the development of policies and implementation of action on environment and climate.”
- 9002 Pipeline Online 30 sec EBEX9002 Pipeline Online 30 sec EBEX
- 0056 OSY Rentals Hockey Draft 20230056 OSY Rentals Hockey Draft 2023
- 0055 Smart Power Be Smart with your Power office0055 Smart Power Be Smart with your Power office
- 0015 Latus Viro0015 Latus Viro
- 0054 SIMSA Energy Forum0054 SIMSA Energy Forum
- 0053 Kingston Midstream Westspur Alameda0053 Kingston Midstream Westspur Alameda
- 0052 Predator Inspections0052 Predator Inspections
- 0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly
- 0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar
- 0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan
- 0043 ALX ten sizes0043 ALX ten sizes
- 0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third
- 0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build
- 0032 IWS Summer hiring rock trailer music
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior
- 0004 Royal Helium PO Ad 02