Private-sector forecasters in British Columbia say they agree with the government’s recent projection that economic growth will slow next year.
The Economic Forecast Council, an independent 13-member group, met Finance Minister Katrine Conroy on Monday and told her they foresee 0.5-per-cent growth in 2024, slightly below Conroy’s recent forecast of 0.7 per cent.
B.C. finance ministers traditionally meet annually with the forecast council ahead of the introduction of the government’s budget, set for Feb. 22.
Conroy last week said slowing global economies and inflation in Canada were contributing to her downgraded economic growth prediction.
The Ministry of Finance says in a statement most forecast council members said the impact of past Bank of Canada interest rate hikes haven’t be fully felt and housing affordability and supply remain challenges.
Opposition BC United finance critic Peter Milobar, who attended the forecast council’s meetings, says he heard concerns about a lack of future development, now that major projects including oil and gas pipelines, the Kitimat liquefied natural gas terminal and the Site C dam are nearing completion.
“Despite (increased) immigration masking a lot of structural problems with our economy and not making it look like a recession, in people’s households they are very much feeling like it’s a recession,” he said at a news conference.
Conroy last week said B.C.’s economy is projected to grow by about one per cent this year, a dip from the forecast in September of 1.2-per-cent growth.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Dec. 4, 2023.
- 0062 TED_EPAC_Technology_300062 TED_EPAC_Technology_30
- 0061 SIMSA 2024 For Sask Buy Sask0061 SIMSA 2024 For Sask Buy Sask
- 0060 Arizona Lithium Lease building0060 Arizona Lithium Lease building
- 0059 Southeast College Heavy Equipment Operator0059 Southeast College Heavy Equipment Operator
- 0058 Royal Helium Steveville opens anonymous rocket0058 Royal Helium Steveville opens anonymous rocket
- 9002 Pipeline Online 30 sec EBEX9002 Pipeline Online 30 sec EBEX
- 0055 Smart Power Be Smart with your Power office0055 Smart Power Be Smart with your Power office
- 0015 Latus Viro0015 Latus Viro
- 0052 Predator Inspections0052 Predator Inspections
- 0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly
- 0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar
- 0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan
- 0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build
- 0032 IWS Summer hiring rock trailer music
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior