MOOSOMIN – (Moosomin World-Spectator) The Tuesday, March 15 meeting of the Moosomin Chamber of Commerce will feature Ukrainian food prepared by the local Ukrainian community, a proposal to welcome Ukrainian refugees to Moosomin, a premiere of the new Moosomin promotional video, and presentations from Hub Insurance and the East Central Newcomer Welcome Centre.
The meeting starts at 11:45 am Tuesday at the Canalta Hotel. Normally the Chamber has a local restaurant cater the meal for the lunch-time meeting, but for this meeting the Ukrainian community will prepare a home-made Ukrainian meal and the Chamber will donate to the local Ukrainian community’s efforts to support Ukraine.
At the meeting:
• Roman Chernykh and Josef Tesar will make a presentation on welcoming Ukrainian refugees to Moosomin. Tesar is willing to invest the money to renovate some of his hotel rooms at Motel 6 to accommodate refugee families for their initial stay. The local Ukrainian community is willing do what it takes to make the refugees feel welcome and ensure they have what they need.
Chernykh and Tesar believe there are a lot of advantages for hosting refugees in Moosomin—there are lots of jobs available, there is an established Ukrainian community, and there are English as an Additional Language classes available through Southeast College, which is something most rural communities do not have. Tesar, who came to Canada as a refugee from Czechoslovakia during the Cold War and now owns the Motel 6 in Moosomin and other properties across Canada, believes from his experience that a small community is the best place for an immigrant to Canada to start out.
• Moosomin MLA Steven Bonk will attend the meeting to explain what the province is doing to support Ukraine and Ukrainian refugees.
• McNaughton Principal Jeff St. Onge and Vice-Principal Sherrie Meredith will attend to explain how the school would handle an influx of refugee students, and what the school learned from the influx of Filipino immigrants several years ago.
• A new video promoting Moosomin will be screened. Alyssa Nosterud and Greg Gillespie were the creative forces behind the video.
• Chamber members will be hearing from Hub Insurance on their Group Insurance Options.
• Chamber members will hear from East Central Newcomer Welcome Services about the services they provide to help people immigrating to southeast Saskatchewan.
The meeting begins at 11:45 am Tuesday, March 15 at the Canalta Hotel meeting room and everyone is welcome.
A Ukrainian lunch will be provided.
- 0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly
- 0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar
- 0050 Pride Upkeep lawn0050 Pride Upkeep lawn
- 0048 Hutts Trucking Safety0048 Hutts Trucking Safety
- 0047 Estevan Oilfield Technical Society 20230047 Estevan Oilfield Technical Society 2023
- 0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan
- 0044 PTRC CCUS Aquistore0044 PTRC CCUS Aquistore
- 0043 ALX ten sizes0043 ALX ten sizes
- 0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third
- 0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build
- 0040 Southeast College safety tickets0040 Southeast College safety tickets
- 0032 IWS Summer hiring rock trailer music
- 0029 Latus Viro updated Latus phone
- 0025 Kendalls
- 0023 LC Trucking tractor picker hiring mix
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0019 Jerry Mainil Ltd hiring dugout
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior
- 0004 Royal Helium PO Ad 02
Does the Saskatchewan oilpatch have jobs that we can offer to Ukrainian refugees? If so, please step forward