Brian Zinchuk is editor and owner of Pipeline Online
As Saskatchewan’s government spent the last week dealing with how it will keep its lights on in the future, the reliability, or lack thereof, of wind in Alberta was reinforced.
At 9:57 a.m. On Thursday, May 18, Alberta saw its 3,618 megawatts of wind generation fall to 31 megawatts, or 0.9 per cent capacity. At that moment, 26 of 36 wind farms across Alberta were producing zero power to the grid. Collectively, those 36 wind farms consist of hundreds of turbines costing several billion dollars.
And on Saturday, May 20, at 11:25 a.m., wind generation in Alberta fell to 28 megawatts. That’s 0.8 per cent of nameplate capacity.
That’s according to Twitter bot account @ReliableAB, which posts hourly updates of the Alberta electrical grid. It uses data from the Alberta Electric System Operator.
At this moment 83.8% of Alberta's electricity is being produced by fossil fuels. Wind is at 0.8% of capacity and producing 0.3% of total generation, while solar is at 68.1% of capacity and producing 9.62% of total generation. At the same time we are importing 589 MW or 6% pic.twitter.com/L5RZy59Eiq
— Reliable AB Energy (@ReliableAB) May 20, 2023
On May 16, SaskPower president and CEO Rupen Pandya spoke about the reliability of wind and solar power generation. Here are some excerpts of that:
- 0060 Arizona Lithium Lease building0060 Arizona Lithium Lease building
- 0059 Southeast College Heavy Equipment Operator0059 Southeast College Heavy Equipment Operator
- 0058 Royal Helium Steveville opens anonymous rocket0058 Royal Helium Steveville opens anonymous rocket
- 9002 Pipeline Online 30 sec EBEX9002 Pipeline Online 30 sec EBEX
- 0055 Smart Power Be Smart with your Power office0055 Smart Power Be Smart with your Power office
- 0015 Latus Viro0015 Latus Viro
- 0052 Predator Inspections0052 Predator Inspections
- 0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly
- 0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar
- 0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan
- 0043 ALX ten sizes0043 ALX ten sizes
- 0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third
- 0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build
- 0032 IWS Summer hiring rock trailer music
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior