Brian Zinchuk is editor and owner of Pipeline Online
Alberta has 1,209 megawatts of nameplate installed solar generation capacity. And at noon on June 20, the second longest day of the year, all of that solar generation was producing half of the rated capacity.
At 11:00 a.m. it was producing around 400 megawatts, according to the Alberta Electric System Operator (AESO). That’s one-third of nameplate capacity. By 12:12 p.m., the number had risen to 590 megawatts – half of theoretical capacity.
Alberta has 33 solar farms, but by far the largest is Travers, located in Vulcan County. It has a capacity of 465 megawatts, more than one third of Alberta’s solar capacity. Indeed, on sunny days, Travers often reaches that full output. But at 11:17 a.m., it was producing 240 megawatts, just slightly over half of its capacity.
The reason for this sharp reduction of power output was clear upon inspection of weather satellite imagery. A thick bans of cloud extended across Alberta, from Fort McLeod to Fort McMurray.
- 9002 Pipeline Online 30 sec EBEX9002 Pipeline Online 30 sec EBEX
- 0056 OSY Rentals Hockey Draft 20230056 OSY Rentals Hockey Draft 2023
- 0055 Smart Power Be Smart with your Power office0055 Smart Power Be Smart with your Power office
- 0015 Latus Viro0015 Latus Viro
- 0054 SIMSA Energy Forum0054 SIMSA Energy Forum
- 0053 Kingston Midstream Westspur Alameda0053 Kingston Midstream Westspur Alameda
- 0052 Predator Inspections0052 Predator Inspections
- 0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly
- 0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar
- 0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan
- 0043 ALX ten sizes0043 ALX ten sizes
- 0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third
- 0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build
- 0032 IWS Summer hiring rock trailer music
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior
- 0004 Royal Helium PO Ad 02