Brian Zinchuk is editor and owner of Pipeline Online
Supporting ongoing economic reconciliation, 63 hectares (156 acres) of Crown mineral rights will be transferred to Ocean Man First Nation upon the surface attaining reserve status, the Government of Saskatchewan said in a press release on May 4.
“These transfers are part of Saskatchewan’s continued commitment to work with our partners to transfer land and minerals to reserve status, directly supporting the growth of First Nation communities,” Minister Responsible for First Nations, Métis and Northern Affairs Don McMorris said. “The facilitation of reserve creation directly supports the growth of First Nation communities and continues to serve an important role in the ongoing economic reconciliation between governments and Saskatchewan’s First Nations.”
This transfer abides by the terms of the Memorandum of Agreement for the Facilitation of the Implementation of Specific Claims Settlements, signed by the Governments of Saskatchewan and Canada on March 31, 2000.
To transfer mineral rights, First Nations submit a written request to the Government of Saskatchewan identifying the Crown minerals for selection. The First Nation and the Government of Saskatchewan negotiate the purchase price for the minerals, with all sales requiring the consent of any existing Crown mineral rights holder. Once all conditions are met, the Crown minerals are transferred to the Government of Canada through a Mineral Order in Council, which takes effect upon reserve creation.
With the acquisition of new reserve lands, successful Specific Claims Settlement Agreements, signed between First Nations and the Government of Canada, support community growth and traditional land use as well as partnerships between First Nations, businesses and neighbouring communities, advance opportunities for business development in urban centres, and create economic development and employment opportunities in the mining, oil and gas, business and agriculture sectors.
- 0062 TED_EPAC_Technology_300062 TED_EPAC_Technology_30
- 0061 SIMSA 2024 For Sask Buy Sask0061 SIMSA 2024 For Sask Buy Sask
- 0060 Arizona Lithium Lease building0060 Arizona Lithium Lease building
- 0059 Southeast College Heavy Equipment Operator0059 Southeast College Heavy Equipment Operator
- 0058 Royal Helium Steveville opens anonymous rocket0058 Royal Helium Steveville opens anonymous rocket
- 9002 Pipeline Online 30 sec EBEX9002 Pipeline Online 30 sec EBEX
- 0055 Smart Power Be Smart with your Power office0055 Smart Power Be Smart with your Power office
- 0015 Latus Viro0015 Latus Viro
- 0052 Predator Inspections0052 Predator Inspections
- 0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly
- 0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar
- 0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan
- 0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build
- 0032 IWS Summer hiring rock trailer music
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior