CALGARY — The company that owns the Trans Mountain pipeline says it remains optimistic the pipeline could be restarted by the end of the week.
Trans Mountain Corp. says it has 350 people working around the clock to restart the pipeline, which has been shut down as a precaution since Nov. 14 due to the flooding in British Columbia.
The company says over the weekend, crews hiked or were airlifted into areas where there is still no road access to inspect the pipe.
Trans Mountain says there is no indication of any spill from the pipeline. As a precaution, the company has deployed spill-response equipment at control points in river areas near to or downstream from where it is working.
The Trans Mountain pipeline is a critical piece of energy infrastructure for B.C. and Washington state. This is the longest period the pipeline has been shut down in its nearly 70-year history.
Enbridge Inc. also temporarily shut down a segment of one of two pipelines that make up its Westcoast natural gas pipeline last week due to the heavy flooding in B.C.
Enbridge says it was able to maintain natural gas service in spite of the event and has since increased capacity on the system. It says the Westcoast pipeline is now transporting 1.63 billion cubic feet per day of natural gas, above 100 per cent of total contracted volume transported last year at this time.
Canadian Pacific Railway Co. announced Monday that it will reopen its railway between Kamloops, B.C. and Vancouver by mid-day Tuesday, Nov. 23. CP says crews have been working around the clock since Nov. 14 to repair 30 locations across CP’s Thompson and Cascade subdivisions that were damaged in the flooding.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 22, 2021.
Companies in this story: (TSX:ENB; TSX:CP)
The Canadian Press
- 0029 Latus Viro updated Latus phone
- 0031 Lloydminster_Heavy_Oil_Show_20220031 Lloydminster_Heavy_Oil_Show_2022
- 0027 TED_NA Helium 2021_30
- 0028 SIMSA_Energy_Forum_2022
- 0025 Kendalls
- 0026 Buffalo Potash Quinton Salt
- 0023 LC Trucking tractor picker hiring mix
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0019 Jerry Mainil Ltd hiring dugout
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0014 Buffalo Potash What if PO
- 0015 Latus Viro PO Ad 01
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior
- 0004 Royal Helium PO Ad 02