CALGARY — The company that owns the Trans Mountain pipeline says it remains optimistic the pipeline could be restarted by the end of the week.
Trans Mountain Corp. says it has 350 people working around the clock to restart the pipeline, which has been shut down as a precaution since Nov. 14 due to the flooding in British Columbia.
The company says over the weekend, crews hiked or were airlifted into areas where there is still no road access to inspect the pipe.
Trans Mountain says there is no indication of any spill from the pipeline. As a precaution, the company has deployed spill-response equipment at control points in river areas near to or downstream from where it is working.
The Trans Mountain pipeline is a critical piece of energy infrastructure for B.C. and Washington state. This is the longest period the pipeline has been shut down in its nearly 70-year history.
Enbridge Inc. also temporarily shut down a segment of one of two pipelines that make up its Westcoast natural gas pipeline last week due to the heavy flooding in B.C.
Enbridge says it was able to maintain natural gas service in spite of the event and has since increased capacity on the system. It says the Westcoast pipeline is now transporting 1.63 billion cubic feet per day of natural gas, above 100 per cent of total contracted volume transported last year at this time.
Canadian Pacific Railway Co. announced Monday that it will reopen its railway between Kamloops, B.C. and Vancouver by mid-day Tuesday, Nov. 23. CP says crews have been working around the clock since Nov. 14 to repair 30 locations across CP’s Thompson and Cascade subdivisions that were damaged in the flooding.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 22, 2021.
Companies in this story: (TSX:ENB; TSX:CP)
The Canadian Press
- 0060 Arizona Lithium Lease building0060 Arizona Lithium Lease building
- 0059 Southeast College Heavy Equipment Operator0059 Southeast College Heavy Equipment Operator
- 0058 Royal Helium Steveville opens anonymous rocket0058 Royal Helium Steveville opens anonymous rocket
- 9002 Pipeline Online 30 sec EBEX9002 Pipeline Online 30 sec EBEX
- 0055 Smart Power Be Smart with your Power office0055 Smart Power Be Smart with your Power office
- 0015 Latus Viro0015 Latus Viro
- 0052 Predator Inspections0052 Predator Inspections
- 0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly
- 0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar
- 0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan
- 0043 ALX ten sizes0043 ALX ten sizes
- 0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third
- 0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build
- 0032 IWS Summer hiring rock trailer music
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior