CALGARY — TC Energy has signed an agreement with electric vehicle manufacturer Nikola to jointly develop large-scale hydrogen production facilities in the U.S. and Canada.
The two companies say they plan to produce 150 tonnes or more of hydrogen per day within the next five years.
The hydrogen hubs will be located near major trucking corridors to help U.S.-based Nikola fuel its heavy-duty fuel cell electric vehicles.
Calgary-based TC Energy says its existing pipeline assets could be used to transport the hydrogen. It says its pipelines could deliver CO2 to sequestration facilities to decarbonize the hydrogen production process.
Nikola president Pablo Koziner says the companies want to produce enough cost-efficient hydrogen to support widespread customer adoption of fuel cell electric vehicles.
The companies did not disclose an investment figure for the proposed project.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 7, 2021.
Companies in this story: (TSX:TRP)
The Canadian Press
- 0062 TED_EPAC_Technology_300062 TED_EPAC_Technology_30
- 0061 SIMSA 2024 For Sask Buy Sask0061 SIMSA 2024 For Sask Buy Sask
- 0060 Arizona Lithium Lease building0060 Arizona Lithium Lease building
- 0059 Southeast College Heavy Equipment Operator0059 Southeast College Heavy Equipment Operator
- 0058 Royal Helium Steveville opens anonymous rocket0058 Royal Helium Steveville opens anonymous rocket
- 9002 Pipeline Online 30 sec EBEX9002 Pipeline Online 30 sec EBEX
- 0055 Smart Power Be Smart with your Power office0055 Smart Power Be Smart with your Power office
- 0015 Latus Viro0015 Latus Viro
- 0052 Predator Inspections0052 Predator Inspections
- 0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly
- 0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar
- 0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan
- 0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build
- 0032 IWS Summer hiring rock trailer music
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior