CALGARY — Precision Drilling Corp. says it lost $38 million in its latest quarter as drilling ramped up and revenue rose more than 50 per cent compared with a year ago.
The Calgary-based company says the loss amounted to $2.86 per diluted share for the year ended Sept. 30, compared with a loss of $28.5 million or $2.08 per diluted share in the same quarter last year.
Revenue totalled $253.8 million in the company’s third quarter, up from $164.8 million a year earlier.
Precision, which is the largest drilling rig contractor in the country, says on average it had 51 active drilling rigs in Canada in the quarter, up from 18 in the same quarter last year.
In the U.S., the company had on average 41 active drilling rigs in the quarter, up from 21 a year earlier, while its international drilling business averaged six rigs, the same as a year ago.
In its outlook, Precision says that at current commodity prices it expects higher demand for its services and improved fleet utilization as customers look to maintain and replenish production levels.
“We believe current industry fundamentals are providing the most promising backdrop for our business that we have experienced in almost a decade,” Precision CEO Kevin Neveu said in a statement.
“Strong oil and natural gas prices, a significantly improved Canadian market structure and rapidly declining drilled but uncompleted well inventories all point to higher drilling activity in our core markets. Although we are likely in the early innings, our firm bookings and current customer inquiries indicate substantially stronger demand for our services and improved fleet utilization as this rebound continues.”
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 21, 2021.
Companies in this story: (TSX:PD)
The Canadian Press
- 0029 Latus Viro updated Latus phone
- 0031 Lloydminster_Heavy_Oil_Show_20220031 Lloydminster_Heavy_Oil_Show_2022
- 0027 TED_NA Helium 2021_30
- 0028 SIMSA_Energy_Forum_2022
- 0025 Kendalls
- 0026 Buffalo Potash Quinton Salt
- 0023 LC Trucking tractor picker hiring mix
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0019 Jerry Mainil Ltd hiring dugout
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0014 Buffalo Potash What if PO
- 0015 Latus Viro PO Ad 01
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior
- 0004 Royal Helium PO Ad 02