CALGARY — The chief executive of a Calgary-based energy company says a federally imposed cap on emissions from the oil and gas sector is reckless and dangerous.
At the UN climate conference in Scotland on Monday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau formally committed to imposing emissions caps on Canada’s oil and gas industry.
The government’s new net-zero advisory body will be tasked with helping craft targets for the oil and gas cap.
But Grant Fagerheim, CEO of Whitecap Resources Inc., says he worries the government is setting unrealistic targets.
Fagerheim says the oil and gas sector is making progress reducing emissions, but reaching net-zero is going to take decades.
He says if the government hobbles the industry with unrealistic caps, Canadians will be faced with higher energy prices in years to come.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 1, 2021.
Companies in this story: (TSX:WCP)
The Canadian Press
- 0029 Latus Viro updated Latus phone
- 0031 Lloydminster_Heavy_Oil_Show_20220031 Lloydminster_Heavy_Oil_Show_2022
- 0027 TED_NA Helium 2021_30
- 0028 SIMSA_Energy_Forum_2022
- 0025 Kendalls
- 0026 Buffalo Potash Quinton Salt
- 0023 LC Trucking tractor picker hiring mix
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0019 Jerry Mainil Ltd hiring dugout
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0014 Buffalo Potash What if PO
- 0015 Latus Viro PO Ad 01
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior
- 0004 Royal Helium PO Ad 02