By Amanda Stephenson in Calgary
Crescent Point Energy Corp. announced a special dividend for shareholders Wednesday, as continued high oil prices helped the Calgary-based oil and gas company deliver a five-fold increase in profits in its third quarter.
Crescent Point, which has drilling operations in Alberta, Saskatchewan and North Dakota, reported third-quarter net income of $466.4 million, up from $77.5 million in the same quarter last year.
The company said it will pay a special dividend of 3.5 cents per share based on its latest quarterly results in addition to its regular quarterly dividend of eight cents per share.
However, the company also acknowledged it is beginning to feel the pinch of wide-spread inflation throughout the economy. On Wednesday, Crescent Point revised its capital expenditure guidance for 2022 to $950 million from its previously indicated range of between $875 and $900 million.
“Our new 2022 guidance of $950 million is a seven per cent bump from our previous mid-point,” said Crescent Point chief executive Craig Bryksa on a conference call with analysts, adding the increase is in part due to increased drilling activity in the Duvernay and North Dakota regions, but also the result of rising costs for everything from trucking, well servicing, labour and equipment repair.
“We’ve seen a little bit of a bump in drilling rig day rates … and obviously plays that are a little bit deeper, like Kaybob and North Dakota, require more casing, more fracking, and obviously fuel costs hit us.”
Canadian oil and gas companies have been enjoying windfall profits in 2022, ever since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine disrupted the global energy supply balance and drove up commodity prices.
In the third quarter alone, Crescent Point was able to pay down approximately $270 million worth of debt, bringing its total net debt as of Sept. 30 down to $1.2 billion.
The company’s excess cash flow in the third quarter totaled $233.7 million, and Bryksa said for 2023 Crescent Point expects to generate approximately $1.1 to $1.5 billion of excess cash flow, at forecast West Texas Intermediate oil prices of between US$75 to US$85 per barrel.
Crescent Point’s average production for the quarter ended September 30, 2022 was 133,019 boe/day, up from 132,186 a year earlier, and the company said it plans to generate an annual average production of 134,000 to 138,000 boe/d in 2023.
Oil and gas sales totalled nearly $1.1 billion, up from $826.7 million in the third quarter last year, boosted by higher realized oil and natural gas prices.
The company continues to be pleased with the performance of its Kaybob Duvernay assets in northern Alberta, which it acquired last year from Shell Canada for $900 million. During the third quarter, Crescent Point acquired additional lands in the Kaybob Duvernay for approximately $87 million, and Bryksa said the company expects to increase the proportion of capital it allocates to the asset within its five-year plan.
He said production in the Kaybob is expected to grow “in a disciplined manner” from approximately 35,000 boe/d in 2022 to over 50,000 boe/d by 2027, subject to commodity prices.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 26, 2022.
Companies in this story: (TSX:CPG)
The Canadian Press
News from © The Canadian Press, 2022. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- 0045 WBPC 2023 Bright Colors P0045 WBPC 2023 Bright Colors P
- 0044 PTRC CCUS Aquistore0044 PTRC CCUS Aquistore
- 0043 ALX ten sizes0043 ALX ten sizes
- 0042 Sask Oilfield Services0042 Sask Oilfield Services
- 0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third
- 0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build
- 0040 Southeast College safety tickets0040 Southeast College safety tickets
- 0033 Buffalo Potash Jared Small Footprint
- 0032 IWS Summer hiring rock trailer music
- 0029 Latus Viro updated Latus phone
- 0025 Kendalls
- 0026 Buffalo Potash Quinton Salt
- 0023 LC Trucking tractor picker hiring mix
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0019 Jerry Mainil Ltd hiring dugout
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0014 Buffalo Potash What if PO
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior
- 0004 Royal Helium PO Ad 02