HOUSTON, B.C. — The RCMP say they are investigating allegations that protesters threatened security officials, set off flares and damaged vehicles at a drill site for the Coastal GasLink pipeline in northern British Columbia.
The Mounties say in a statement released Monday that officers were called to the site along a forest service road near Houston on Sunday.
They say anyone blocking worker access to the area is in breach of a court-ordered injunction.
Opposition to the pipeline project among Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs sparked rallies and rail blockades across Canada last year.
The elected council of the Wet’suwet’en First Nation and others in the area have approved the pipeline, which would transport natural gas from Dawson Creek to Kitimat.
A statement from a group called the Gidimt’en Checkpoint says an area known as Coyote Camp has been reoccupied and an eviction notice that was issued to the company by the hereditary chiefs last year has been enforced.
Members of the Gidimt’en clan, one of five in the Wet’suwet’en Nation, had re-established blockades last month before several people were arrested while protesting construction of the 670-kilometre natural gas pipeline.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Dec. 20, 2021.
The Canadian Press
News from © The Canadian Press, 2021. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- 0045 WBPC 2023 Bright Colors P0045 WBPC 2023 Bright Colors P
- 0044 PTRC CCUS Aquistore0044 PTRC CCUS Aquistore
- 0043 ALX ten sizes0043 ALX ten sizes
- 0042 Sask Oilfield Services0042 Sask Oilfield Services
- 0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third
- 0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build
- 0040 Southeast College safety tickets0040 Southeast College safety tickets
- 0033 Buffalo Potash Jared Small Footprint
- 0032 IWS Summer hiring rock trailer music
- 0029 Latus Viro updated Latus phone
- 0025 Kendalls
- 0026 Buffalo Potash Quinton Salt
- 0023 LC Trucking tractor picker hiring mix
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0019 Jerry Mainil Ltd hiring dugout
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0014 Buffalo Potash What if PO
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior
- 0004 Royal Helium PO Ad 02