HALIFAX — An Alberta energy company has abandoned its plan to create huge salt caverns north of Halifax to store natural gas.
AltaGas announced today it will decommission the Alton Natural Gas Storage Project near Stewiacke, N.S., because the company has shifted its focus since 2018, when it sold its interest in the Halifax-based natural gas utility Heritage Gas Ltd.
As well, AltaGas said the project had experienced challenges and delays, referring to the opposition the project faced from Indigenous protesters and their allies.
Those opposed to the project had long complained about the company’s plan to remove large, underground salt deposits by flushing them out with water from the nearby Shubenacadie River.
The plan also called for dumping the leftover brine into the tidal river, where it would flow into the Bay of Fundy.
The company had said the caverns were needed to to assure a steady supply of natural gas in the colder months when peak demand can lead to supply shortages and price spikes.
“In the coming weeks and months, we will be discussing next steps related to decommissioning the project with regulators at the provincial and federal governments, the Mi’kmaq of Nova Scotia and other key stakeholders,” the company said in a statement.
“As we begin the process to decommission Alton, we will continue working to minimize our environmental impact as we remain committed to the health of the Shubenacadie River estuary.”
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 22, 2021.
The Canadian Press
- 0029 Latus Viro updated Latus phone
- 0031 Lloydminster_Heavy_Oil_Show_20220031 Lloydminster_Heavy_Oil_Show_2022
- 0027 TED_NA Helium 2021_30
- 0028 SIMSA_Energy_Forum_2022
- 0025 Kendalls
- 0026 Buffalo Potash Quinton Salt
- 0023 LC Trucking tractor picker hiring mix
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0019 Jerry Mainil Ltd hiring dugout
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0014 Buffalo Potash What if PO
- 0015 Latus Viro PO Ad 01
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior
- 0004 Royal Helium PO Ad 02