TORONTO — Loblaw Companies Ltd. says it has reached a deal with TC Energy that will see the grocer’s operations in Alberta powered entirely by wind, sun and water.
The retailer says the arrangement is a first of its kind in Canada, providing its 280 supermarket and drugstore locations as well as its offices and distribution centres in Alberta with electricity from renewable sources.
Loblaw says the deal will eliminate the carbon emissions from the company’s electricity purchases in the province, while cutting its nationwide operating emissions by 17 per cent.
Galen Weston, chairman and president of Loblaw, says the deal reflects the company’s efforts to become net zero by 2040.
He says it will turn Loblaw’s highest carbon-emitting energy market into its lowest — in a single step.
Other large grocery retailers in Canada have set similar targets to lower carbon emissions.
Sobeys parent company Empire Co. Ltd. has said it’s working to achieve net zero by 2040 for the company’s direct and indirect emissions.
It’s also gone a step further, saying it will work with its supply chain to ensure its suppliers are also working toward reduction targets.
Metro Inc. said it aims to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 37.5 per cent by 2035 compared with 2020, for an average reduction of 2.5 per cent a year.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 4, 2023.
Companies in this story: (TSX:L, TSX: EMP.A, TSX: MRU).
The Canadian Press
News from © The Canadian Press, 2022. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- 0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly
- 0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar
- 0050 Pride Upkeep lawn0050 Pride Upkeep lawn
- 0048 Hutts Trucking Safety0048 Hutts Trucking Safety
- 0047 Estevan Oilfield Technical Society 20230047 Estevan Oilfield Technical Society 2023
- 0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan
- 0044 PTRC CCUS Aquistore0044 PTRC CCUS Aquistore
- 0043 ALX ten sizes0043 ALX ten sizes
- 0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third
- 0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build
- 0040 Southeast College safety tickets0040 Southeast College safety tickets
- 0032 IWS Summer hiring rock trailer music
- 0029 Latus Viro updated Latus phone
- 0025 Kendalls
- 0023 LC Trucking tractor picker hiring mix
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0019 Jerry Mainil Ltd hiring dugout
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior
- 0004 Royal Helium PO Ad 02