FREDERICTON — New Brunswick’s premier says a liquefied natural gas facility in Saint John could be modified to help reduce Europe’s reliance on fossil fuels from Russia.
Blaine Higgs told reporters Wednesday in Nova Scotia that gas plant Saint John LNG, which is owned by Spanish firm Repsol, could be retrofitted to export gas in about three years.
Higgs says energy solutions are needed so that the global economy isn’t held ransom by Russia, which invaded Ukraine in February.
He says the Saint John plant is already connected to a supply of gas from the United States, adding that his government is considering developing New Brunswick’s shale gas industry, which he says could also feed the facility.
Saint John LNG spokesman Michael Blackier says Repsol is continuously exploring options to maximize the value of the terminal.
Blackier said today in a statement the company will look at any and all business possibilities, including the potential to add liquefaction capabilities to its Saint John facility.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 29, 2022.
The Canadian Press
News from © The Canadian Press, 2022. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- 0045 WBPC 2023 Bright Colors P0045 WBPC 2023 Bright Colors P
- 0044 PTRC CCUS Aquistore0044 PTRC CCUS Aquistore
- 0043 ALX ten sizes0043 ALX ten sizes
- 0042 Sask Oilfield Services0042 Sask Oilfield Services
- 0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third
- 0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build
- 0040 Southeast College safety tickets0040 Southeast College safety tickets
- 0033 Buffalo Potash Jared Small Footprint
- 0032 IWS Summer hiring rock trailer music
- 0029 Latus Viro updated Latus phone
- 0025 Kendalls
- 0026 Buffalo Potash Quinton Salt
- 0023 LC Trucking tractor picker hiring mix
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0019 Jerry Mainil Ltd hiring dugout
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0014 Buffalo Potash What if PO
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior
- 0004 Royal Helium PO Ad 02