FREDERICTON — New Brunswick’s premier says a liquefied natural gas facility in Saint John could be modified to help reduce Europe’s reliance on fossil fuels from Russia.
Blaine Higgs told reporters Wednesday in Nova Scotia that gas plant Saint John LNG, which is owned by Spanish firm Repsol, could be retrofitted to export gas in about three years.
Higgs says energy solutions are needed so that the global economy isn’t held ransom by Russia, which invaded Ukraine in February.
He says the Saint John plant is already connected to a supply of gas from the United States, adding that his government is considering developing New Brunswick’s shale gas industry, which he says could also feed the facility.
Saint John LNG spokesman Michael Blackier says Repsol is continuously exploring options to maximize the value of the terminal.
Blackier said today in a statement the company will look at any and all business possibilities, including the potential to add liquefaction capabilities to its Saint John facility.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 29, 2022.
The Canadian Press
- 0062 TED_EPAC_Technology_300062 TED_EPAC_Technology_30
- 0061 SIMSA 2024 For Sask Buy Sask0061 SIMSA 2024 For Sask Buy Sask
- 0060 Arizona Lithium Lease building0060 Arizona Lithium Lease building
- 0059 Southeast College Heavy Equipment Operator0059 Southeast College Heavy Equipment Operator
- 0058 Royal Helium Steveville opens anonymous rocket0058 Royal Helium Steveville opens anonymous rocket
- 9002 Pipeline Online 30 sec EBEX9002 Pipeline Online 30 sec EBEX
- 0055 Smart Power Be Smart with your Power office0055 Smart Power Be Smart with your Power office
- 0015 Latus Viro0015 Latus Viro
- 0052 Predator Inspections0052 Predator Inspections
- 0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly
- 0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar
- 0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan
- 0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build
- 0032 IWS Summer hiring rock trailer music
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior