CALGARY — An embattled Calgary energy company is fighting the provincial regulator’s decision to seize thousands of its inactive wells.
AlphaBow Energy has complained to the Alberta ombudsman and the province’s information and privacy commissioner over the Alberta Energy Regulator transferring control of more than 6,000 wells, pipeline segments and other facilities to the Orphan Well Association.
Earlier this month, the regulator barred AlphaBow employees from attending any of those sites without approval from the association.
AlphaBow has had a long list of regulatory problems and field inspections in August found only 42 per cent of sites were satisfactory.
But AlphaBow maintains it exceeds industry averages on reclamation spending.
It says the regulator’s decision will result in increased greenhouse gas emissions and prevent it from paying the municipal taxes it owes.
AlphaBow also says the regulator has made information about the company public that should have remained private.
“The Alberta government and the Alberta ombudsman must intervene immediately to assess the situation impartially,” said AlphaBow CEO Ben Li.
“Every day that passes further harms AlphaBow and its employees, thus increasing the possibility that municipalities and surface landowners will never recoup the money owed to them.”
Privately held AlphaBow was created after the 2018 collapse of Calgary-based Sequoia Resources, which also resulted in several energy facilities being transferred to the Orphan Well Fund.
AlphaBow’s entire environmental liability is estimated at $154 million.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 28, 2023.
The Canadian Press
- 0060 Arizona Lithium Lease building0060 Arizona Lithium Lease building
- 0059 Southeast College Heavy Equipment Operator0059 Southeast College Heavy Equipment Operator
- 0058 Royal Helium Steveville opens anonymous rocket0058 Royal Helium Steveville opens anonymous rocket
- 9002 Pipeline Online 30 sec EBEX9002 Pipeline Online 30 sec EBEX
- 0055 Smart Power Be Smart with your Power office0055 Smart Power Be Smart with your Power office
- 0015 Latus Viro0015 Latus Viro
- 0052 Predator Inspections0052 Predator Inspections
- 0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly
- 0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar
- 0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan
- 0043 ALX ten sizes0043 ALX ten sizes
- 0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third
- 0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build
- 0032 IWS Summer hiring rock trailer music
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior