Europe relies on Russia for about one-third of its oil supplies and more than 40 per cent of its natural gas.
The Russian invasion of Ukraine is pushing the continent to cut off that dependency as soon as possible but finding alternative sources is not simple.
Guilbeault says the infrastructure is not there for Canada to get oil and gas to Europe easily and even if it could, European refineries aren’t set up to process the heavy crude Canada produces.
But he says there are ways Canada can work with Europe quickly on exports of clean and renewable energy like hydrogen, which the continent was already starting to move toward.
His comments echo statements made in Germany earlier today by Chancellor Olaf Scholz, who said he is hopeful Canada can help supply Germany with the hydrogen it will need to become a zero-emissions country by 2045.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 9, 2022.
- 0029 Latus Viro updated Latus phone
- 0031 Lloydminster_Heavy_Oil_Show_20220031 Lloydminster_Heavy_Oil_Show_2022
- 0027 TED_NA Helium 2021_30
- 0028 SIMSA_Energy_Forum_2022
- 0025 Kendalls
- 0026 Buffalo Potash Quinton Salt
- 0023 LC Trucking tractor picker hiring mix
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0019 Jerry Mainil Ltd hiring dugout
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0014 Buffalo Potash What if PO
- 0015 Latus Viro PO Ad 01
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior
- 0004 Royal Helium PO Ad 02