Brian Zinchuk is editor and owner of Pipeline Online
According to SaskPower’s Where Your Power Comes From webpage, wind power generation in Saskatchewan averaged 31 megawatts on Friday, April 14. As it’s a daily average, that means at times wind generation was below 31 megawatts.
That means out of the 617 megawatts of installed grid generation in Saskatchewan, wind generation averaged five per cent output. Again, as that was an average, it means there were times during the day it was higher and lower than five per cent.
This is a repeat of a pattern that has shown itself several times over the last 16 months. When wind power generation craters in Alberta, typically a similar thing happens here the following day. And on Thursday, April 13, Alberta saw low wind production for most of the day according to the Alberta Electric System Operator. At 10:25 a.m., it had fallen as low as six megawatts, out of 3,618 megawatts of nameplate generation capacity. That was 0.14 per cent of capacity.
SaskPower is intent on building an additional 3,000 megawatts of wind and solar generation. There are currently 617 megawatts of grid-scale wind and 30 megawatts of grid-scale solar.
- 0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly0051 JML Hiring Pumpjack assembly
- 0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar0049 Scotsburn Dental soft guitar
- 0050 Pride Upkeep lawn0050 Pride Upkeep lawn
- 0048 Hutts Trucking Safety0048 Hutts Trucking Safety
- 0047 Estevan Oilfield Technical Society 20230047 Estevan Oilfield Technical Society 2023
- 0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan0046 City of Estevan This is Estevan
- 0044 PTRC CCUS Aquistore0044 PTRC CCUS Aquistore
- 0043 ALX ten sizes0043 ALX ten sizes
- 0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third0039 Summit ESP Saskatchewan lower third
- 0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build0041 DEEP Since 2018 now we are going to build
- 0040 Southeast College safety tickets0040 Southeast College safety tickets
- 0032 IWS Summer hiring rock trailer music
- 0029 Latus Viro updated Latus phone
- 0025 Kendalls
- 0023 LC Trucking tractor picker hiring mix
- 0022 Grimes winter hiring
- 0021 OSY Rentals S8 Promo
- 0019 Jerry Mainil Ltd hiring dugout
- 0018 IWS Hiring Royal Summer
- 0013 Panther Drilling PO ad 03 top drive rigs
- 0006 JK Junior
- 0004 Royal Helium PO Ad 02
What do you get when you divide 6 by 3,618? The fraction of power output of Alberta wind on Thursday morning